Why Professional Translation Is So Important For Social Media Updates
Having language and translation mistakes in a social media update can drastically change the tone and even the meaning of the message. Such errors will certainly make your company appear less professional, undoing years of hard work. Social media updates are designed to attract attention and catch the eye of potential customers, so it is of utmost importance that they are translated accurately. And the only way that this can be avoided is by hiring a professional translating service to get the job done right.
If you don't believe me, check out these marketing translations gone horribly wrong:
1) The hugely successful ‘Got Milk?’ campaign in the United States raised some eyebrows in Mexico when it was translated as ‘Are You Lactating?’
2) Coors Brewing’s ‘Turn It Loose’ slogan was translated to ‘Suffer from Diarrhea’ in Spanish.
3) Clairol’s ‘Mist Stick’ curling iron was translated to ‘Manure Stick’ in Germany.
4) Pepsi’s slogan ‘Pepsi Brings You Back to Life’ was translated to ‘Pepsi Brings Your Ancestors Back from the Grave’ in Chinese.
5) The Colgate brand of toothpaste was translated to ‘Cue’ in France, which unfortunately is the same name as a well-known French pornographic magazine.
6) Parker Pen’s slogan ‘It won’t leak in your pocket and embarrass you’ was translated in Mexico to ‘It won’t leak in your pocket and make you pregnant’ as the translator confused the words ‘embarrass’ and ‘embarazar’, with the latter meaning ‘to impregnate’.
7) Frank Perdue’s slogan ‘It takes a tough man to make a tender chicken’ was unfortunately translated to ‘It takes a sexually stimulated man to make a chicken affectionate’ in Spanish.
8) Braniff International Airways’ slogan ‘Fly in Leather’ was translated to ‘Fly Naked’ in Spanish.
Now do you believe me when I say that a small translating mistake can have huge ramifications for your business? :-)
Using a professional translating service may cost that little bit more, but what price can be placed on the maintenance of your delicate professional and business reputation?
You might also like:
We are proud to announce that our agency has been awarded with not one, but two of the prestigious FinancesOnline awards. One Hour Translation scored
International Translation Day is held in celebration of the feast of St Jerome, the Bible translator widely considered the patron saint of translators. The International Federation of Translators is the promoter of International Translation Day, and has been since it was first held in 1953.
The translation industry is a relatively small one but it’s also a highly competitive one. Basically, do your research on a translation agency prior to making initial contact and it will certainly pay off; perhaps not immediately because there may not be any work available at the time, so just be patient. Your application must stand out above the rest, and by following these simple steps you should have no problem whatsoever in achieving your translation goals.