Using a Translation Agency or Service
- Coors' motto of "Turn it loose" was once translated into "Loosen your bowels" or something to that effect in Spanish.
- Through a comedy of errors, the Italian translation for "Schweppes Tonic Water" became "Schweppes Toilet Water".
- Clairol's negligence in doing the research for its "Mist-Stick" product (a mist-producing curling iron) in Germany produced predictable results—in German, "mist" translates to "manure", and you can just imagine how well a "manure-stick" will sell.
- Colgate's "Cue" brand toothpaste in France was coincidentally named after a notorious local porno magazine. It'd probably be as interesting as having a "Playboy"-brand handheld game console for kids in the United States (fortunately, that didn't actually happen... yet).
- On the flipside of things, the Scandinavian Electrolux brand once produced an infamous marketing campaign that alleges, "Nothing sucks like an Electrolux." Actually, it's marketed mainly for the UK, where "sucks" had a more positive connotation, but you can only imagine the hilarity that arose once the ad made its rounds in the Internet.
One Hour Translation is the world’s fastest professional translation service. One Hour Translation provides Fast, High Quality Professional Translation on a 24/7 basis thanks to a community of over 8000 certified translators from all over the world.
You might also like:
We are proud to announce that our agency has been awarded with not one, but two of the prestigious FinancesOnline awards. One Hour Translation scored
International Translation Day is held in celebration of the feast of St Jerome, the Bible translator widely considered the patron saint of translators. The International Federation of Translators is the promoter of International Translation Day, and has been since it was first held in 1953.
The translation industry is a relatively small one but it’s also a highly competitive one. Basically, do your research on a translation agency prior to making initial contact and it will certainly pay off; perhaps not immediately because there may not be any work available at the time, so just be patient. Your application must stand out above the rest, and by following these simple steps you should have no problem whatsoever in achieving your translation goals.