Marketing tips for translators
- Keep in touch with customers by sending out reminders of availability to prospective customers at the beginning of the month not just once but as many times as may be necessary
- Use auto responders while out of office
- Send out personal hand written notes to each customer instead of a general circular
- Collect information on prospective customers to know their needs through tools such as Google alerts
- Use social networking sites such as LinkedIn, Facebook etc for networking with prospects, other translators etc and join relevant groups
- Blogging, twittering, releasing news worthy press releases are other means to make your presence felt in the cyber world and build a brand of yourself
- You may use Google adwords to link to your landing page if you can afford it
- Accept payment medium as preferred by customer like paypal, check etc. in order to save customer’s time
- Be firm with your price after benchmarking yourself with the competition
- No need to justify your price
- Fix your bottom line with regard to price, deadlines, payment terms before starting negotiation
- Educate the client regarding your plus points like domain knowledge, relevant references, written testimonials, etc.
- Do not hesitate to walk away from bad customers and do not sound desperate
You might also like:
We are proud to announce that our agency has been awarded with not one, but two of the prestigious FinancesOnline awards. One Hour Translation scored
International Translation Day is held in celebration of the feast of St Jerome, the Bible translator widely considered the patron saint of translators. The International Federation of Translators is the promoter of International Translation Day, and has been since it was first held in 1953.
The translation industry is a relatively small one but it’s also a highly competitive one. Basically, do your research on a translation agency prior to making initial contact and it will certainly pay off; perhaps not immediately because there may not be any work available at the time, so just be patient. Your application must stand out above the rest, and by following these simple steps you should have no problem whatsoever in achieving your translation goals.